Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A rose by any other age....

After a recent move to the uncharted wilds of Utah, I have been interested in the inexplicable preoccupation with my age.  Yes, I know I am closing in on the infamous 30, but when did this become of public concern??  So it has motivated me to confront this glaring issue and ask:  Who the heck cares what my age is??  I've come to find that it's not so much the question or the age that bothers me, it's more of the sympathetic tilt of the head and the response "but you are so cute" that usually comes after my response to the question that really gets under my skin.  Should I be less cute because I am now closer to 30 than 20?  This makes no sense to me.  Or is it that the general population believes only not cute people should be able to make it to 30 without being married?

I took this question to my co-worker, a 24 year old single male, who simply stated: "Women are like wine, they get better with age."  Now, I know he meant this to be a compliment but I couldn't help but think that this was also not an acceptable way of looking at things.  So should I wait till I am 40 before I am good enough to be had???  No!  Either way you look at it, there is stigma with the age.  Either I am too old to be single, or not old enough to be sweet.... make up your mind world!

I am simply a tweener roaming the world in between being too old and not old enough.  Too old for the sweet, non-jaded early 20-somethings, and not old enough to be a cougar.  After much thought regarding this, I have determined to challenge this concept of how old is too old or not old enough with my own declaration:

"A rose by any other age would still smell as sweet."

So to anyone who asks my age I will simply remind them that it does not matter!  Regardless if I am 23 or 33, I would still smell as sweet and still be me.... so take it or leave it!