Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Anal Retentive and diet go together well!


I've gotten really serious about eating healthy and trimming down and if you don't believe me then check my fridge! Ya I'm a little over the top right now with thoughts of low-cal, proteins, carbs and low-fat swimming ferociously through my brain. I think because school is out and work on hiatus I have found a replacement for all my energy and brain power.... add a little procrastination of laundry and you have a refrigerator organized by nutritional value as illustrated in the picture above. The top shelf is fruits and vegetables (with the exclusion of milk that could not fit on it's appropriate shelf), middle shelf is designated for proteins and lastly the bottom is saved for carbs. Like I said, over the top yet functional. See when I come to my fridge to make a meal I know to grab lots from the top shelf, atleast one thing from the middle shelf and limit the bottom shelf. Since I'm a person that finds some unexplainable sense of satisfaction each time I draw a line crossing off something on my list, this system works for me. (Warning: this tip is only for those slightly neurotic and not faint of heart) So if you need a little organization or need to be prepared for quick grabs in the fridge, this may work for you.

I also came across one calorie saving tip that you might want to try. Now hear me out, don't knock this before you have tried it! I have switched to drinking powdered milk. I know, I know I'm talking crazy to some of you, but you'd be amazed how little calories there are in a glass of reconstituted powdered milk versus skim milk. Here's the skinny: 1 cup of reconstituted milk has only 80 cal, 0 g of fat and 8 g of protein versus skim milk: which contains 102 calories per cup. If you are a big milk drinker or cereal eater this substitute may be a good solution for you. That is a 22 calorie savings each day or 154 cals a week. So before you scoff at this tip, try it! Some brands I suggest are Moo Cow and the one I drink which is Sun Isles Instant Dry Milk which is found at Fresh and Easy. To top it all off, the price of one bag of dry milk (which is the equivalent of 48 quarts) is the same price as one gallon of milk. Think of the money and calories you will save! So while you are scoffing, I am saving up my calories for a milky way.... mmm.... almost there!

1 comment:

kelsey said...

oh my gosh i love your writing... amazing! my mother in law who is the ultimate cougar loves it too! hope you dont mind if i stalk you! good luck with the weight loss