Monday, December 14, 2009

The Freshman 15...

We've all heard of the "freshman 15" before, those dreaded pounds that creep up on us college students as we get so frantic in school all we can handle is a quick drive-thru run between study sessions and sharing all our junk food obliviously with our friends... well I'm going on too many years in school and have finally hit the age where my metabolism is no longer on my side and my 15 has crept on me. I have started working out at the gym and working with my personal trainer Juan, and yet have not even dropped a pound! What is up with that?? If I were a guy I would just quit drinking soda or stop eating candy bars and BAM! all my weight would melt off. Now, there is some weight I'm looking to keep on, like the extra cup size and the curves that guys seem to be commenting on more and more these days, but everything else has GOT TO GO! A friend of mine recently suggested I join the HCG craze, but you know what? I don't really want to eat like I'm a prisoner of war being let out of my cell just long enough to scavenge a rodent from the nearby field, besides my love of food and HATRED of hunger just doesn't allow for that. Some people are comfort or emotional eaters, well I realized I'm a mindless eater. Sometimes I look down at my hand and think, "what am I eating?" Something about munching soothes my soul....

After all this self-reflection, and after a bowl of ice cream, I came to the conclusion that if I want my 18 yr old body back I have got to crack down and fix my diet! All this working out is for naught when I eat all the calories I burned back. So starting today I am on an "I hate to be hungry, but I don't need to overeat or eat junk food anymore" diet. My goal is to cut the sugar, increase my protein intake and cut out the fat. Hopefully this will supercharge my weightloss and make each drop of sweat that rolls off my forehead worth all the effort! So far today has been a great day. I'm proud to say that I have followed all the eating rules my trainer has set for me: eat more egg whites, check.... one protein shake a day, check... and no more sugar, check check! I'm taking it one day at a time, but so far so good. Cross your fingers and think happy thoughts for me as I begin my mission to feel better, be healthier and get my body in order! If any of you out there have the same goals in mind, let me know your tips and techniques and we'll work through it together!

1 comment:

Allyson & Jere said...

First of all, so glad you found me, AND commented. SEcondly, how cute are you in all your pictures in your header. Thirdly, loved this post, some funny stuff. HCG is hard, I did it. Finally, just for the record, most of my blog entries are not deep thoughts and such. They're mostly fluff about life. Just thought you should know. I'll be happy to be your blog bff. Oh, and another finally...you missed your lesson. BOO!